Review by Luukas January 19, 2015 (3 of 7 found this review helpful)
|This is thrilling live performance of Mahler's First Symphony! Manfred Honeck really loves this work, and it shines from him.
Exton's SACD recordings are world famous, because the sound quality is clear and natural. But it is a pity that this is only stereo, there isn't multi-channel layer.
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra is excellent band; its tone is rich and warm. Honeck brings his team to the Mahlerian wonderland; clarinet's funny rhythm (in the third movement) is beautiful here. Whole interpretation is impressive: live concert's feeling comes very close even in stereo! Audience's wild applause crowns this disc. Wonderful!
There are also many good recordings. Here is my top 5 list:
1) London Symphony Orchestra, Valery Gergiev (LSO Live)
2) San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas (Avie)
3) Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Abbado (DG (Virtuoso Series))*
4) London Philharmonic Orchestra, Klaus Tennstedt (LPO)*
5) Budapest Festival Orchestra, Ivan Fischer (Channel)
*) normal CD
Was this review helpful to you?