add to wish list | library


10 of 13 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
 

Discussion: Mozart: Die Zauberflöte - Kuijken

Posts: 23
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by wolfE December 20, 2004 (1 of 23)
The German Label "Bayer Records" has announced the release of a new "Zauberflöte" (with Sigiswald Kuijken and his "Petite bande", unknown singers)and some other SACD-productions. I hope to receive it this week, then I will give some more information. Adress: http://www.bayermusicgroup.de

Post by zeus December 20, 2004 (2 of 23)
wolfE said:

The German Label "Bayer Records" has announced the release of a new "Zauberflöte" (with Sigiswald Kuijken and his "Petite bande", unknown singers)and some other SACD-productions. I hope to receive it this week, then I will give some more information. Adress: http://www.bayermusicgroup.de

Thanks for the info, I just added this (with cast) here:

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte - Kuijken

I note that Kuijken has recorded The Marriage of Figaro, Cosi fan tutte and Don Giovanni in the past.

Post by tream December 20, 2004 (3 of 23)
Too bad they are putting this on 3 SACD's instead of 2. Both of my RBCD versions (Solti II and Klemperer)fit on 2, although the Klemperer has no dialog.

Post by beardawgs December 20, 2004 (4 of 23)
wolfE said:

The German Label "Bayer Records" has announced the release of a new "Zauberflöte" (with Sigiswald Kuijken and his "Petite bande", unknown singers)and some other SACD-productions. I hope to receive it this week, then I will give some more information. Adress: http://www.bayermusicgroup.de

It sounds like good news Kuijken is a well known period instruments specialist, and the singers are not all so unknown: Genz and Hauptmann were both soloists with Gardiner and Suzy Le Blanc is a fine baroque soprano. Looking forward to hear what you think of the performance and the recording, especially after the rather unfortunate experience with Bayer Records first SACD (Chopin: Ballades, Fantasie Op. 49 etc. - Burkard Schliessmann) and some even more unfortunate supporters of the pianist.

Post by seth December 21, 2004 (5 of 23)
tream said:

Too bad they are putting this on 3 SACD's instead of 2. Both of my RBCD versions (Solti II and Klemperer)fit on 2, although the Klemperer has no dialog.

Typically each act can fit onto a single disc. Even if Act 2 manages to run over 80 minutes, Act I is short enough you can put Nr.9 on the first disc. Heck, I have versions that included an appendix that still only take up 2 discs.

Post by Daland December 21, 2004 (6 of 23)
seth said:

Typically each act can fit onto a single disc. Even if Act 2 manages to run over 80 minutes, Act I is short enough you can put Nr.9 on the first disc. Heck, I have versions that included an appendix that still only take up 2 discs.

With three layers - CD, SACD stereo and SACD multi-channel - it may be difficult to accommodate the whole opera on two discs. They charge 50 EUR, roughly the price of two and a half discs, which seems reasonable to me.

Post by terence May 5, 2007 (7 of 23)
has anybody heard this and can offer comments?

Post by brenda May 5, 2007 (8 of 23)
terence said:

has anybody heard this and can offer comments?

terence, I have it and really like it. Nothing can replace the golden heroic tones of Klemperer and co, and they make do without the sometimes irritating dialogue, BUT the Kuijken feels pacey despite the inclusion of all the dialogue, features young singers with fresh voices, focuses on the humanity of the piece, gets the humour just right, is historically informed and well recorded. And is MUCH more listenable than the HI{P but somewhat hammy "Figaro" from Jacobs.. I'm keeping the Kuijken alongside Klemp, and will play both in turn. And that's a compliment. Best wishes, B

Post by terence May 5, 2007 (9 of 23)
thanks B, that's really useful.

just 2 other quickies:

[1] is there a multichannel 5.0 layer? (the company website confusingly lists it as "Multi-Channel Stereo").

[2] is it a live recording? (i have a kuijken cosi on RBCD which is).

Post by Polly Nomial May 5, 2007 (10 of 23)
terence said:

thanks B, that's really useful.

just 2 other quickies:

[1] is there a multichannel 5.0 layer? (the company website confusingly lists it as "Multi-Channel Stereo").

[2] is it a live recording? (i have a kuijken cosi on RBCD which is).

Would second Brenda's comments (apart from the K part but that's my hang-up!) and in answer to your questions: Yes to both.

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed