add to wish list | library


8 of 8 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
jpc

Discussion: The Mahler Cycle - Michael Tilson Thomas

Posts: 20
Page: 1 2 next

Post by yakman May 28, 2011 (1 of 20)
Another big box with a bigger price...

Post by brucknerfan May 29, 2011 (2 of 20)
The price will change quickly, when the box actually is released. SF symphony price is $175. I wonder how the box is made - since I own the Zinman cycle and the discs are nicely packaged with all the original graphics - but what I have sampled so far, the SFS cycle is better recorded and has better interpretations. The verdict is still out.

Post by seth May 29, 2011 (3 of 20)
brucknerfan said:

The price will change quickly, when the box actually is released. SF symphony price is $175. I wonder how the box is made - since I own the Zinman cycle and the discs are nicely packaged with all the original graphics - but what I have sampled so far, the SFS cycle is better recorded and has better interpretations. The verdict is still out.

Maybe.

I see that some European retailers have it on sale for nearly $200, so their regular price will probably be $250+.

Post by arnaoutchot May 29, 2011 (4 of 20)
brucknerfan said:

The price will change quickly, when the box actually is released. SF symphony price is $175. I wonder how the box is made - since I own the Zinman cycle and the discs are nicely packaged with all the original graphics - but what I have sampled so far, the SFS cycle is better recorded and has better interpretations. The verdict is still out.

From what I learned on the SFS homepage the SACDs are obviously packed in a room saving way and the booklets have been summarized in a 300+ page book. I own all the single SFS SACD editions, which have been made very beautifully, so I doubt that the box will really be able to beat them.

Contentwise I always regarded MTT's cycle to be superior to Zinman's cycle. Many of MTT's interpretations classify as being among the reference recordings to me, which I cannot say of Zinman.

Post by Aleph May 30, 2011 (5 of 20)

Post by lennyw May 30, 2011 (6 of 20)
$749. That's bonkers!

Wonder if they made analogue recordings side by side...

Post by Ernani71 May 30, 2011 (7 of 20)
Michael Tilson Thomas runs the New World Symphony here in Miami. He's currently conducting the Mahler Legacy series in the new Frank Gehry designed symphony hall in Miami Beach. Next up: Mahler's Symphony No. 9 (next May). (Most exciting season. In March there is Turangalila conducted by Reinbert de Leeuw. You can bet I'll be there!) I've lost track of how many concerts given by MTT I've attended. I consider him a solid conductor; whether he is a great one . . .

Post by rammiepie May 30, 2011 (8 of 20)
The San Francisco Symphony Online Store is selling the complete SACD box set for $175.00 (US).

Post by DSD May 30, 2011 (9 of 20)
lennyw said:

$749. That's bonkers!

Wonder if they made analogue recordings side by side...

Agreed even at $30 per LP, 22 LPs would be $660 and box sets historically have been cheaper, often way cheaper than individual discs. I believe the LPs are from the DSD masters, thus I would prefer the SACD versions anyway.

Post by rammiepie May 30, 2011 (10 of 20)
DSD said:

Agreed even at $30 per LP, 22 LPs would be $660 and box sets historically have been cheaper, often way cheaper than individual discs. I believe the LPs are from the DSD masters, thus I would prefer the SACD versions anyway.

Tick, Tick, Pop, Pop......no thank you!

The SACDs sound superb, thank you!

Page: 1 2 next

Closed