add to wish list | library


7 of 8 recommend this,
would you recommend it?

yes | no

Support this site by purchasing from these vendors using the links provided below. As an Amazon Associate SA-CD.net earns from qualifying purchases.
 
amazon.ca
amazon.co.uk
amazon.com
amazon.de
 
amazon.fr
amazon.it
 
 

Discussion: Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1-10 - Zinman

Posts: 30
Page: 1 2 3 next

Post by yakman May 3, 2011 (1 of 30)
The booklet is 83 pages, surprisingly all in English. There may be another version in German?

The DVD is a documentary on the making of Symphony No.6.
Haven't yet watched it.

Post by Claude May 4, 2011 (2 of 30)
Is the documentary also in english only?

That could explain why they didn't bother to translate the big booklet into german.

The booklet of the individual release of the 10th (the only one I have from the series) is in english, german and french.

Post by yakman May 4, 2011 (3 of 30)
Claude said:

Is the documentary also in english only?

That could explain why they didn't bother to translate the big booklet into german.

The booklet of the individual release of the 10th (the only one I have from the series) is in english, german and french.

The documentary has German subtitle.

The big booklet states the English is translated. So I suppose there should be another German version.

Post by brucknerfan May 29, 2011 (4 of 30)
The box is nicely made and the booklet (yes, in English)is useful and comprehensive. The only caviat is, that some of the symphonies (2, 6, 8) should have been packed onto 1 disc. BIS shows regularly that you get 82 minutes on a disc and this is more convenient for the listening experience.
The Carpenter version of #10 is a nice unconventional adder, too.

Post by Ubertrout April 19, 2014 (5 of 30)
I just looked at the prices for this set, and they seem to have hit the floor. Under $20 shipped for a used copy, under 30 shipped for a new one.

Post by Lunna April 19, 2014 (6 of 30)
Ubertrout said:

I just looked at the prices for this set, and they seem to have hit the floor. Under $20 shipped for a used copy, under 30 shipped for a new one.

Yeah, this blows me away, especially looking at the amazon list price. I didn't see it under 20 dollars, but I did bite at 26 dollars shipped - where did you see it that cheap?

Even though this means duplicating a couple of discs, at that price, I couldn't resist...

Post by Ubertrout April 19, 2014 (7 of 30)
The cheap used copy seems to have already sold.

Post by rammiepie April 19, 2014 (8 of 30)
Lunna said:

Yeah, this blows me away, especially looking at the amazon list price. I didn't see it under 20 dollars, but I did bite at 26 dollars shipped - where did you see it that cheap?

Even though this means duplicating a couple of discs, at that price, I couldn't resist...

Amazon's third party vendors (Import CDs to be exact) had a couple at a cheaper price (used) but one set had slight scratches on the discs themselves and both had damaged boxes.

At the price you paid, Lunna, considering the list price, you still received quite the bargain.....for 15 SACDs and 1 DVD!

Gustav is probably turning over in his grave knowing that his great symphonies are being sold at such a ridiculously low price in inflationary 2014!

Post by samayoeruorandajin April 19, 2014 (9 of 30)
Oh, but there are so many great RBCD non-repertory discs out there and just to buy something because it's cheap is not a good enough reason to buy.

Post by rammiepie April 19, 2014 (10 of 30)
samayoeruorandajin said:

Oh, but there are so many great RBCD non-repertory discs out there and just to buy something because it's cheap is not a good enough reason to buy.

Quite true, FD, but considering that it costs roughly $2.50 to press an SACD and the fact that Analogue Productions has been known to charge $75 for an EMPTY box, I would say that this was way too great of a bargain to pass up.....of course contingent upon whether one likes Mahler and/or Zinman's interpretations.

Over at QQ, a Jim Croce 'Quad' Vinyl version of one of his albums is fetching $1K on e~bay!

Imagine what Lunna will fetch for Zinman's mch/hybrid Mahler boxset in, say, five years?

Page: 1 2 3 next

Closed